Are you planning a vacation in Bulgaria ? A good choice, because the holiday destination on the Black Sea is perfect for every vacationer! You can go to the beautiful beaches and relax in the sun. Sunny Beach and Golden Sands are among the most popular places for a beach holiday as well as for unforgettable parties. But a vacation in Bulgaria awaits you with many other highlights. The diversity of the country is surprisingly beautiful and you should put a Bulgaria vacation on your list. Families with children, single travelers, friends and lovers – everyone loses their heart to the beautiful land on the Black Sea . Here you will find the best offers for your Bulgaria vacation – package tours , Last minute offers , hotels and flights . Secure your dream trip and fall in love with the Balkan state. You can find important information and tips in my Bulgaria travel guide . So you are well prepared for your Bulgaria vacation.
Bulgaria holidays – all important information in the holiday guru travel guide
Golden Sands and Sunny Sands – the most famous and notorious vacation spots in Bulgaria . Here are the wonderful beaches of fine sand and crystal clear water. Legendary parties attract the young vacationers and the calm sea is ideal for families with children. Here on the Black Sea coast, you can look forward to around 300 hours of sunshine a year and spend a wonderful break for little money. In Bulgaria everyone will find the right spot for themselves. But the country on the Balkan Peninsula has much more to offer than dreamlike and miles of sandy beaches. The overwhelming mountain landscape invites you to go hiking and skiing. The big cities like Sofia, Varna and Burgas tell you the history of Bulgaria. Not to mention the Bulgarian cuisine, whose specialties and delicacies will enchant you.
Everything you should know about the holiday destination Bulgaria can be found in this free travel guide . I’ll give you all the important information and valuable tips about one of the most popular holiday destinations in Europe. You will not miss anything on your vacation and you will get to know the wonderful country with all its facets.
Information about Bulgaria
- Location: Southeast Europe, in the east of the Balkan Peninsula on the Black Sea, with borders with Romania, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece and Turkey
- Continent: Europe
- Capital: Sofia with 1.2 million inhabitants (as of 2015)
- Official languages: Bulgarian
- Population: 7.1 million (as of 2016)
- Currency: Bulgarian lev (1 € = 1.95 leva)
- Member of the European Union and NATO
- Four international airports: Sofia, Burgas, Varna and Plovdiv
- Time difference: +1 hour in Bulgaria
Climate and weather in Bulgaria
According to computergees, most of Bulgaria has a continental climate . But due to the geographical conditions, different parts of the country are in different climate zones. There is a Mediterranean climate on the Black Sea coast with the Golden Sands and Sunny Beaches. Here you can look forward to hot summers with rare rainfall. In June the sun begins to warm the sea. July and August are the hottest months and also the driest. There is an average of 27 degrees Celsius during the day, the nights remain pleasantly mild and are not too hot. This perfect summer weather remains on the Black Sea coast until September. Winters can be very cold in Burgas and Sofia, both cities on the coast. The temperatures do not fall below freezing point, but are below 10 degrees Celsius.
The mountains in Bulgaria sometimes have a completely different climate. In the western parts of the Rhodope Mountains, the Rila and the Pirin there is a high alpine climate . Snowfall is guaranteed here in winter. This makes the mountain regions popular ski areas for winter vacationers. Summers are warm in the higher elevations, but much fresher than on the coast. Basically: On the coast you will find a milder climate than in the interior and you can compare the weather there with that of the Austrian summer months. However, there is significantly less rain than in Austria.
Other climatic peculiarities concern the Mariza plain in the east. This is where the Balkan Mountains are located, on the north of which snow often falls in continental climates, but on the south side it rarely does.
- Arrival by plane: In the high season there are regular flights from the Austrian airports to the international airports in Bulgaria. Depending on where you want to spend your vacation, you can, for example, head to Sofia, Burgas and Varna.
- Austrian departure airports with direct flights: Vienna, Salzburg and Graz
- Flight time from Austria to Bulgaria (depending on departure and destination airport): between 1 and 2 hours
- Airlines: Wizz Air, Bulgaria Air, Air Serbia, Lufthansa and many others
- Entry & Visa : Identity card is sufficient for entry if you are an Austrian citizen. No passport necessary.
- Tip :
- in restaurants around 10% of the total amount
- for housekeeping: small, appropriate tip
- for taxi drivers: round up to an appropriate amount
- for tour guides: between € 5 and € 10 if satisfied
- Traveling by car: Your vehicle needs a vignette for the Bulgarian national roads. You can get the vignettes at all border crossings.
- Tap water : Not drinkable as it can be contaminated with germs and pollutants.
- Travel adapter for Bulgaria : The mains voltage in Bulgaria is 220 volts / 50 Hertz and is the same as in Austria, you do not need a travel adapter.
- Import regulations for luxury goods such as tobacco products and alcohol: e.g. a maximum of 800 cigarettes and 10 liters of spirits free of charge (further information can be found at the customs office )