Pepeekeo is a small town located on the Big Island of Hawaii. It has a population of around 2,500 people and is located at an elevation of around 400 feet. The town is surrounded by lush, tropical vegetation and its climate is warm and humid year-round.
The history of this small town dates back to the early 1800s when it was established as a sugar plantation. The plantation was owned by British immigrants who brought with them their own culture and lifestyle that still exists in Pepeekeo today. In the late 1800s, the plantation was converted into a pineapple plantation, which allowed for the growth of the local economy.
Politically, Pepeekeo is part of Hawaii County, which is governed by a mayor and nine-member county council who serve four-year terms. The town has its own government as well, including a mayor who serves two-year terms and four council members who are elected to serve four-year terms.
The economy in Pepeekeo relies heavily on agriculture with sugar cane and pineapple being two of the main crops grown in the area. Other industries include tourism, fishing, retail, construction, education and healthcare. There are several schools in Pepeekeo that serve students from pre-kindergarten through high school.
Some popular landmarks in Pepeekeo include Pua’a Ka’a State Park which features several hiking trails with stunning ocean views; Pahoa Village Museum which showcases artifacts from Hawaiian culture; Ahalanui Hot Springs which offers hot water pools surrounded by lush vegetation; and Honoli’i Beach Park where visitors can enjoy swimming or snorkeling in the crystal clear waters of Hilo Bay.
Males: 831 (49.0%), Females: 866 (51.0%)
Zip code: 96783
Median resident age: 40.8 years
Median household income: $27,946
Median house value: $127,500
Races in Pepeekeo:
- Filipino (27.0%)
- Two or more races (25.4%)
- Japanese (20.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (11.5%)
- Hispanic (10.0%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (5.1%)
- American Indian (4.3%)
- Other Asian (4.1%)
- Chinese (2.4%)
- Other race (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Portuguese (10.6%), German (1.6%), United States (1.6%), Irish (1.5%).
Elevation: 487 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Pepeekeo is a small town situated on the island of Hawaii, located in the Hawaiian archipelago. The town has a population of roughly 2,000 inhabitants, most of whom are of Polynesian descent. Pepeekeo is known for its rich history and cultural heritage, as well as its beautiful tropical landscape. The cost of living in Pepeekeo is relatively low compared to other Hawaiian towns. Housing prices are generally lower than average and the cost of food and utilities is also quite affordable. However, there are still some costs associated with living in this small town such as transportation, health care and entertainment expenses that can be more expensive than other locations on the island. The town has several small shops and restaurants, but there are no major shopping malls or supermarkets nearby so it’s important to plan trips accordingly. Additionally, because Pepeekeo is quite remote from other major cities in Hawaii, travel expenses can also be higher than usual for visitors who want to explore the area or take advantage of local attractions. Despite this though, Pepeekeo remains one of the most affordable places to live in Hawaii due to its low cost of living and peaceful atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Pepeekeo
- High school or higher: 67.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 10.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pepeekeo CDP
- Never married: 32.4%
- Now married: 49.3%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 7.6%
18.4% Foreign born (17.7% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pepeekeo:
- HILO MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; HILO, HI)
- HALE HO’OLA HAMAKUA (about 34 miles; HONOKAA, HI)
- NORTH HAWAII COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 44 miles; KAMUELA, HI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pepeekeo:
- HILO INTERNATIONAL (about 10 miles; HILO, HI; Abbreviation: ITO)
- KONA INTL AT KEAHOLE (about 65 miles; KAILUA/KONA, HI; Abbreviation: KOA)
- KAHULUI (about 116 miles; KAHULUI, HI; Abbreviation: OGG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pepeekeo:
- WAIMEA-KOHALA (about 41 miles; KAMUELA, HI; Abbreviation: MUE)
- UPOLU (about 59 miles; HAWI, HI; Abbreviation: UPP)
- HANA (about 90 miles; HANA, HI; Abbreviation: HNM)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Hawaii graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pepeekeo:
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT HILO (about 9 miles; HILO, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,434)
- KAPIOLANI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 212 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 4,131)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA (about 214 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 14,113)
- HAWAII PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (about 216 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 6,186)
- HONOLULU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 217 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)
- LEEWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 226 miles; PEARL CITY, HI; Full-time enrollment: 3,511)
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY-HAWAII CAMPUS (about 232 miles; LAIE, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)