According to Loverists, Pottsboro is located in Grayson County, Texas, and is part of the Sherman-Denison metropolitan area. It is situated on the banks of Lake Texoma, and the northern edge of the city borders Oklahoma. The climate in Pottsboro is humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters. The area has a long history of Native American occupation; it was part of the Indian Territory during the 19th century. In 1872, a post office was established in what was then known as Pottsborough.
Politically, Pottsboro is represented by Republican Congressman Mac Thornberry in Congress and Republican Senator Pat Fallon in the Senate. The Texas House of Representatives District 62 Representative is Larry Phillips. The city’s economy relies heavily on tourism due to its proximity to Lake Texoma and its abundance of recreational activities like fishing, boating, camping, swimming, and more. Additionally, Pottsboro has several businesses that supply goods and services to both locals and visitors alike such as restaurants, retail stores, gas stations, grocery stores, auto repair shops and more.
The Pottsboro Independent School District serves students from Pre-K through 12th grade with two elementary schools (Pottsboro Elementary & Fairview Elementary), one intermediate school (Pottsboro Intermediate), one middle school (Pottsboro Middle) and one high school (Pottsboro High). There are also several private schools within a few miles from Pottsboro including Sacred Heart Catholic School which offers classes from Pre-K through 8th grade.
Some landmarks within Pottsboro include Lake Texoma State Park which covers over 10 thousand acres along the lake’s shoreline; Eisenhower State Park which provides camping sites for RV’s as well as cabins for rent; The Sherman Museum which houses artifacts from Grayson County’s past; The Old Pecan Street Festival which features live music performances; Cedar Mills Marina which offers boat rentals for fishing or sightseeing; And numerous parks throughout town offering trails for hiking or biking along with playgrounds for children to enjoy.
Population: 1,579. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,992 (+26.2% change)
Males: 752 (47.6%), Females: 827 (52.4%)
Zip code: 75076
Median resident age: 35.0 years
Median household income: $43,977
Median house value: $91,400
Races in Pottsboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.4%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (13.6%), United States (13.0%), German (11.8%), English (9.2%), Italian (3.2%), Scottish (2.3%).
Elevation: 764 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Pottsboro, Texas is a small town located in Grayson County, approximately 75 miles north of Dallas. The population of Pottsboro is estimated to be around 2,200 people. The majority of the population are Caucasian, accounting for over 90% of the total population. Hispanics make up 4.7%, African Americans 1.9%, and Asians 0.2%. The median age in Pottsboro is 40 years old and the median household income is $51,000 per year.
The majority of residents in Pottsboro work in the service industry with retail and hospitality as the two biggest employers. Many small businesses are also located within the city limits including restaurants, cafes, and specialty stores. Education is provided by the Pottsboro Independent School District which has one primary school and one middle school which serves grades K-8th grade students in the area. There are also two private schools located within close proximity to town for those wishing for an alternative education option for their children. In terms of higher education options, residents can attend Grayson College which offers associate degrees as well as vocational training programs.
For population 25 years and over in Pottsboro
- High school or higher: 87.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pottsboro town
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 13.6%
1.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +404 (+34.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pottsboro:
- TEXOMA MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; DENISON, TX)
- TEXOMA MEDICAL CTR RESTORATIVE CARE (about 8 miles; DENISON, TX)
- WILSON N JONES MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; SHERMAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pottsboro:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 67 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 67 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 71 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pottsboro:
- GRAYSON COUNTY (about 6 miles; SHERMAN/DENISON, TX; Abbreviation: GYI)
- CEDAR MILLS (about 10 miles; GORDONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 3T0)
- SHERMAN MUNI (about 14 miles; SHERMAN, TX; Abbreviation: SWI)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pottsboro:
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; DURANT, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 34 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 40 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (about 49 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,673)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 56 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)
Public high school in Pottsboro:
- POTTSBORO H S (Students: 411; Location: 101 HWY 120; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pottsboro:
- POTTSBORO EL (Students: 382; Location: 101 HWY 120; Grades: PK – 03)
- POTTSBORO MIDDLE (Students: 361; Location: 101 HWY 120; Grades: 06 – 08)
- POTTSBORO INTERMEDIATE (Students: 197; Location: P O BOX 555; Grades: 04 – 05)
Library in Pottsboro:
- POTTSBORO AREA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $16,600; Location: 400 HWY 120 W; 14,625 books; 278 audio materials; 252 video materials; 8 serial subscriptions)